The Blackmagic Pocket 4K is currently the Worlds most affordable and popular cinema camera. In a fast paced, developing cinema camera market, the Pocket 4K has had a valuable 18 month head start on any competition, however at its price point and the overall value of the bundle its shipped with, it's unlikely the Pocket 4K will ever be eclipsed. Yes, ever.
Bundled for $1295 with Davinvci Resolve 16 Studio, an all in one editing, compositing, sound mixing and color grading package with a $299 standalone price tag, the specification of the Pocket 4K is unrivalled for a camera under $1000. It's unlikely, that any other camera will be released at this price point with these specs along with a professional video creation app.
What is so amazing about the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K?
Being a video professional and accounting for the subject matter it makes sense to use my developed skillset to answer this question fully. However, I'll whet your whistles with my Top 10 list of professional features that are packed in to this small, yet incredibly powerful cinema camera.
1. Industry standard video quality - 10 bit ProRes codecs and Blackmagic raw in 12 bit
2. Adaptable Micro Four Thirds lens mount
3. Shoot 4K video at up to 60 frames per second
4. 13 stops of dynamic range, capturing all the detail of high contrast scenes
5. Records internally and externally to solid state drives for instant editing
6. The camera is regularly improved with firmware updates
7. The form factor is small and lightweight
8. Professional features, like guides, focus assist, false colour and punch in to focus
9. Professional XLR audio connections and good pre amps
10. Intuitive and easy to use menu system
Keeping the mood light, yet insightful, and with a passion born out of experience, do check out my video review below which I produced for my channel The Filmmakers Workshop.